Monday, March 9, 2015

GDC 2015 Report

So this was an interesting bit of news:

But why stop there? Why would that be the only set of news?

So basically, the two best engines in the business are relatively free. The good news coming from GDC 2015 didn't stop there. Valve and Cocos2D also announced their engines going more or less free as well, although Source 2 isn't out yet, and nobody uses Cocos 2D (I jest, and digress).

I should clarify, if only to satisfy my new lawyer friends, that the word relatively is the operative word here. Obviously if you make more than $100,000 in a year, you have to buy Unity 5 Pro, and if you make more than $3000, you have to pay a 5% royalty to Epic Games.

Regardless of these two restrictions, $98,500 and/or $3,000+ minus 5% is still far more money than I have now, for virtually no start-up cost. This is pretty inspiring.

I spend a lot of time trying to remove excuses from myself. I think Unity and Epic Games just did that on a fairly large scale for most of the student and indie developer communities.

Up until this morning, I've been struggling to figure out what I should do with Unreal Engine 4. But I think my answer has come forth in the form of re-doing Project ACIDA. I'll start with getting the top-down controls working, and making some new ships. After that, I can start working on implementing Marching Squares into the engine. This'll give me some experience messing around with the procedural mesh system, and might give me an edge for when I re-implement my Ocean Shader.

This week, I'm hoping to implement a new routine, focusing on pushing myself to newer heights. Among other things, I'm trying to learn:

Hopefully, it'll go well. For now, I just want to improve my knowledge and bring myself to the next level of programming. So far, I've managed to hit up every single thing on my list, although the day is young. We'll talk again tomorrow about how I did, and see if this schedule might actually work for me!

--Q

No comments:

Post a Comment